A guide to the differences between file compression titles, WinRAR and WinZip.
This is a guest post from the publisher, WinRAR.
Currently most compressed files are archived either in the Zip format or the RAR format. WinZip, the originator of the Zip format, has established itself as one of the biggest names in the compression business. Yet WinRAR, which came later but much stronger, has proven to be an overall better tool. For almost everything WinZip could do, WinRar could do it more efficiently; for a lot of other features WinZip lacks, WinRAR has them covered.
Some key benefits of choosing WinRAR over WinZip are listed below.
- Better compression rate: WinRAR squeezes more space than WinZip out of most supported file formats.
- It compresses on average 7% more than WinZip on Word Files and 10% on pure text files.
- Image file wise, its RAR format saves 3% more for JPEG and 10% for BMP files.
- In comprehensive testing where compression software is tested against conglomerate of files with the size of several hundred megabytes, WinRAR beats WinZip to about 8% (seethe stats at maximumcompression.com).
- Superior Extraction speed: As important as knowing how to compress WinRAR files, the extraction speed indicates how fast packed files are restored to their original formats. The difference in speed could be minutes apart when extracting big files such as system backups or CD/DVD images.
- Wonderful User Experience: Unlike WinZip, WinRAR takes a minimalist approach to their interface design, providing a simpler and cleaner look. And here's a very thoughtful feature of WinRAR which WinZip lacks: once you locate the files through Windows' My Computer or Explorer, you can then simply right click the file icons.
- Archive or decompress options are on the Windows' menu along common functions such as copy and paste. So it frees you the hassle to actually open WinRAR's main menu thus saves you several clicks for every job. And what if your RAR files are damaged? WinRAR offers the unique file repair function.
- Interested in making a self-installing file? WinZip and WinRAR both offer the SFX module options but only WinRAR allows you to customize your install logos, icons and your own copyright statements.
- Low Price and Free Support: With 45 language versions, WinRAR is priced well with a lifetime license including free lifetime updates and free lifetime e-mail support.
- WinZip only offers 5 language versions and charges more for a standard copy. However, its product upgrades cost additional $6.95 per year and its e-mail support costs another 18% of the purchase price annually. And compared to WinZip's almost non-existent extraction support with other formats, WinRAR can unpack almost all archive formats including Zip and the other popular formats such as Ace and 7Zip.
Since its inception WinRAR has been awarded by many online review sites as one of the best utility software. Every major update of WinRAR comes with exciting new features or improvement and very few bugs. In the file archiving business where most companies seem to focus mainly on products' compression and the ability to extract WinRAR files abilities, WinRAR stands as a much more robust and well-rounded product. Its steady development progress will ensure its continuous success and user satisfaction in the future.
- Free downloads of winrar
- Zip a file with winzip
- Winzip open zip file
- Winzip download
- Winrar winzip free
- 7 zip
- File compression 7 zip
- Download 7 zip
Apple Store Options For Final Cut XPosted 7 Jul 2011
File Compression Formats In 7-ZipPosted 3 Jul 2011
How To Zip A File With WinZipPosted 24 Jun 2011
Installing And Using Your WinZip DownloadPosted 17 Jun 2011
Who Should Download 7-Zip?Posted 16 Jun 2011
Using The 7z File Format In 7-ZipPosted 10 Jun 2011
7-Zip: The Free File Compression AlternativePosted 10 Jun 2011
Features Of The New WinZip Mac EditionPosted 8 Jun 2011
WinRAR And WinZip Free Software AlternativesPosted 6 Jun 2011
WinZip Options To Open A Zip FilePosted 2 Jun 2011
Your comment has been submitted
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are not abusive.