Last updated: May 25, 2018
Software is a developer-first company. Our platform is built by developers for developers. We believe data should be used as a motivational tool to help individuals improve (as opposed to companies that provide management spyware).
Our goal is to empower developers to code smarter by providing data-driven insights to increase net code contribution, flow time, release velocity, estimation, and code quality. In pursuit of this goal, we limit the data we collect by design and are transparent about how and why we store your data.
1. Collection of Information
In order to provide Software, offer support, and improve Software, we collect information you provide directly to us, information you provide to us via integrations with other sources, and information from your usage of Software. We do not process any Personal Information outside of this scope. Software encrypts all personal information both in transit (SSL/TLS) and at rest.
1.1. Information You Provide to Us
While using Software, you may provide information directly to Software.
- Registration: We collect information when you create an account, register to attend our events, apply for a job. The types of information we collect may include your name, email address, and any other information you choose to provide.
- Communication: When you participate in any features of Software, fill out a form, communicate with us via third party social media sites, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with us, we may collect your any information you choose to provide.
1.2. Information We Collect from Other Sources
In order to provide Software, we obtain information from other sources that you authorize and combine that with information you provide to us.
- Open authorization: When you create or log into your Software account using Google or Github open authorization (OAuth), we will have access to certain information such as your name and email address as authorized in your Google or Github profile settings.
- IDE and Editor integrations: When you integrate an IDE or editor using a Software plugin, Software identifies your coding volume and coding times in order to provide data-driven insights to help you code smarter. Here’s what we track:
- Number of keystrokes (total number and by file)
- File open, close
- File length
- Pasted character counts
- Deleted character counts
- Lines of code (total, added, removed)
- Display language (e.g. English)
- Programming language
- Project directory, name
- IDE plugin version
- Session start time, end time
- Calendar integrations: If you choose to integrate a Google Calendar, Software identifies the times of existing calendar events in order to identify conflicts with coding times.
1.3. Information We Collect Automatically When You Use Software
When you access or use Software, we automatically collect information about you in order to provide better support and to improve Software.
- Log files: We gather certain information about your usage of Software, including the type and language of the browser you use, the type and version of your device's operating system, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and geographic area, and the page you visited before navigating to Software, and store it in log files. We do not monitor or log data collected from your servers when using Software, but we may log or monitor information about your access to Software.
- Information collected by cookies and other tracking technologies: We use various common technologies to collect information, including cookies, web beacons, and embedded scripts.
- Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us improve Software and your experience, see which areas and features of Software are popular, and count visits. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, please see "Your Choices" below.
- Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in Software or emails, and they help deliver cookies, count visits, and understand usage and campaign effectiveness.
- Embedded scripts are programming code designed to collect information about your interactions with a website, such as the links you click on, and may assist our users in providing us with information used to improve Software. The code is active only while you are connected to Software, and is deactivated thereafter.
2. Use of Information
We may use information about you for various purposes, including to:
- Deliver: Provide, operate, and improve Software, including internal operations and software updates
- Transact: Process transactions and send you related information, including confirmations and invoices
- Support: Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, support/administrative messages and respond to your comments, questions, and requests to provide technical support and customer service
- Protect: Enforce our Terms and investigate and prevent fraudulent, unauthorized, and illegal activities to protect the rights and property of Software and others
- Communicate: Provide news and information about products, services, offers, promotions, contests, rewards, and events offered by Software and others that we think will be of interest to you, and to deliver entries and rewards
- Understand: Analyze trends, usage, and activities by combining your information with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service
- Personalize: Recommend content or features that match your profiles or interests
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
If you are located in the European Economic Area, we may process your Personal Information for the above purposes when:
- You have consented to the use of your Personal Information, For example, we may seek to obtain your consent for our uses of cookies or similar technologies, or to send you marketing communications.
- We need your Personal Information to provide you with services and products requested by you, or to respond to your inquiries,
- We have a legal obligation to use your Personal Information, or
- We have a legitimate interest in using your Personal Information. In particular, we have a legitimate interest in using your Personal Information to ensure and improve the safety, security, and performance of Software, to anonymize Personal Information and carry out data analyses.
3. Disclosure of Information
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is permitted by, in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation, or legal process such as to comply with a subpoena
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of Software or others
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of Software assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company
- Between and among Software and our current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and other companies under common control and ownership
- When information is aggregated, pseudonymised, or anonymized, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you
- With your consent or at your direction. We display personal testimonials of satisfied users on our site in addition to other endorsements. With your consent we may post your testimonial along with your name. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, you can contact us using the information listed in the "Contact Us" section below.
Software has implemented security measures to protect information from loss, theft, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, and destruction. We have implemented physical security controls, limited access to a database and applications, and encryption techniques such as SSL/TLS.
To further protect yourself, use a strong password, do not use the same passwords to access your Software accounts that you use with other accounts, and protect your usernames and passwords to help prevent others from accessing your accounts and services.
In the event of unauthorized or unlawful disclosure, loss, alteration, destruction of personal information (data breach) Software will notify users within 72 hours of identification, unless personal data is encrypted or otherwise unreadable by any authorized person.
5. Cross-Border Data Transfers
Software is based in the United States, and U.S. law governs the information we collect. By accessing or using Software or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing, transfer, and storage of information in and to the U.S. With respect to personal data relating to residents of the European Economic Area ("EEA Data"), Software adheres to the Privacy Shield Principles outlined here. For purposes of enforcing compliance with the Framework, Software is subject to the investigative and enforcement powers of the Federal Trade Commission.
Without limiting the above, Software adheres to the Principle of Accountability for Onward Transfer. As noted in "Disclosure of Information" above, we may transfer personal information (including EEA Data) to our vendors, consultants, and other service providers who need access to such EEA Data to carry out work on our behalf. Under certain circumstances, we may remain liable for the acts of those third-party service providers for their handling of EEA Data that we transfer to them. Under certain circumstances, we may be required to disclose EEA Data in response to valid requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
EEA individuals have rights to access personal data about them and to limit use and disclosure of their personal data. If you believe Software holds EEA Data about you and wish to request access (or to limit use or disclosure) of such EEA Data, you can submit a written request to the point of contact listed in the "Contact Us" section below. If the requested EEA Data is Personal Information, please include the name of the applicable user in your request; we will refer the request to that user to respond directly to you and will support them as needed to respond to your request. We will respond to all requests within a reasonable timeframe.
Please direct any inquiries or complaints regarding our compliance with the Principles to the point of contact listed in the "Contact Us" section below. If Software does not resolve your complaint within 45 days, you may submit your complaint free of charge to our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider and designated Privacy Shield dispute resolution provider here. Under certain conditions specified by the Principles and more fully described on the Privacy Shield website, you may also be able to invoke binding arbitration to resolve your complaint through the Privacy Shield Panel.
6. Social Sharing and External Links
Software may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools, which let you share actions you take on Software with other media, and vice versa. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
Software may contain links to other third party websites. Even if the third party is affiliated with Software through a business partnership or otherwise, we are not responsible for the privacy practices of other websites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave Software to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects personal information. This Privacy Statement applies solely to information collected by Software.
7. Your Rights and Choices
- Right to access: Users may access or update personal information they have provided by logging into Software. Upon written request, Software will provide the user with a copy of the personal data under processing.
- Right to erasure: Users may delete their accounts in Software, which triggers a deletion of all associated Personal Information. Please note that Software may retain certain personal information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations or for legitimate business purposes, such as to resolve disputes or enforce our agreements.
- Cookies: Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of Software.
- Promotional communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from Software by following the instructions in those emails. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
- California Privacy Rights: Software does not share personal information as defined under California's "Shine the Light" law with third parties or affiliates for their direct marketing purposes.
8. Children's Privacy
In order to use Software, you must be at least 16 years of age. We do not knowingly collect Personal information from children under 16. If anyone is aware that a child under 16 has provided Personal Information to Software without parental consent, then he or she should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we become aware that a child under 16 has provided us with Personal Information, we will delete such information from our files.